Monday, October 10, 2011

QQC 10/10/11

“Character, hear, the mind of a champion. It’s what makes great athletes and it’s what comes from the growth mindset with its focus on self-development, self-motivation, and responsibility.”

I chose this quote because I think it does a pretty good job at summarizing the whole chapter. That being great at something, being a champion doesn’t come from pure natural talent. Being a champion comes from hard work and determination. I can completely agree with this in a lot of different ways.

For example, I myself have a picture in my head of what it would mean to me to become a champion in my life. Go to college; get the job I’ve always wanted, marry the girl, have the family, the whole jazz. Was I born with an incredible natural wittiness that could have easily carried me through high school and college and dropped me off in the hard world we call life? No I was not. However I tried hard enough up to this point, and I set myself up perfectly so that I can push my way through high school and college. When I get to the cold hard world we call life, I will has faced the challenges and I will know how to overcome them, unlike young Billy Beane.

This all brings up the question in my head of, how much is natural talent worth? And, how much is effort and motivation worth? If you can have a perfect mix of the two it would obviously work out the best right? I know I wasn’t born a genius, but I do know I have a higher level of intellect than a lot of people I know(not trying to be conceited but it is true, it always has been). I know people who are at an equal level as me, who before high school started I could connect with intellectually. However a lot of them did not set themselves up, and they are at equal levels of those who lack the wit to succeed.

So the question I propose is, What is the percentage that the two roles of(natural talent and effort/motivation) have on total success.

No comments:

Post a Comment